14 replies to this topic

Craig172

Craig172
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts
  • west yorkshire
  • craig
  • Owns:BMW Z4 E86

Hi there, am looking to be an RS owner shortly, been busy browsing the forum, prior to purchase,-  looking to get a Grey RS, low mileage upto £25k. Got a few questions could do with some help

1. seats are the std recaro seats comfy and supportive, are the shell seats just more sort after as they are rarer or better ?
  2. is there much difference spec wise between an early 2016 and late 2017 models.
  3. Should models 2016-17 have been checked for head gasket recall, is it wise to avoid ones that have nt been checked ?
  4. have seen the is one on autotrader for what appears to be a good value RS but dealer site has miced reviews, I dont suppose anyone has seen this one ?

https://www.autotrad...rice-asc&page=1

Any help appreciated, thanks Craig

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Jas

Jas
  • Club Member
  • 7201 posts
  • West Yorkshire
  • Jason

The seats are subjective, the shell seats are arguably more desirable and certainly look better but are uncomfortable on long journeys in my opinion, i have owned both, i would have the shell seats if it was a garage queen just for the looks alone but as a daily the standard seats win hands down for me for comfort plus they are heated if the car has the winter pack.

Spec between the 2016 and 2017 models will mainly be the infotainment system as the 2016 models will have SYNC2 which was replaced with the SYNC3 and i believe the heated steering wheel option was also added after the 2016 builds

All cars built before the head gasket was revised should have been recalled unless the previous owner didn't want it pulling apart, you could always check on ETIS to see if there are any outstanding recalls or field service actions

• RS3 likes this

Vic.Nic

Vic.Nic
  • Club Member
  • 45 posts
  • Putney, London
  • Virginia
  • Owns:Focus MK3 RS

I found the Std puffy recaros a bit too tight, they always squeeze you in the kidneys and upper thighs where they are narrower than the Shell seats, so I would say, if you are slim/skinny go for the std, if you have a bit of meat on you the shells are far comfier, we did a 1000 mile round trip and no aches or pains in the shell seats. You really need to drive both to see what suits you . probably find the std seats are rarer as most folk especially in the early days opted for the shells. headgasket/recall is a thing of the past now, its history, and like slavery should be forgotten and forgiven !

• Flying Fish likes this

Craig172

Craig172
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts
  • west yorkshire
  • craig

Great thanks for that, how do i find out when the head gasket was revised? Also any answer to (4) is this good value, / worth viewing ?

Jas

Jas
  • Club Member
  • 7201 posts
  • West Yorkshire
  • Jason

Cars built from july 2017 should have the revised head gasket fitted

elgassi

elgassi
  • Forum User
  • 1319 posts
  • Perth
  • simon
  • Owns:2010 - MR375 PB Rs

The Grey Rs for sale looks tidy

5_Pot_Pops

5_Pot_Pops
  • Club Member
  • 228 posts
  • Scotland South
  • Gordon

Just me, but I would want the upgraded seats. That particular example looks like a very good buy indeed. Do your due diligence BUT watch you don't miss it dithering.

Craig172

Craig172
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts
  • west yorkshire
  • craig

Thanks for all the info, sorry for all the questions, how do you find the build date for a car ? the RS in the ad has the shell seats, will go at the weekend for a look, seems good value and stealth grey my fav colour out of them all.

grunty-motor

grunty-motor
  • Club Member
  • 2876 posts

Looks good on paper - doubt you will get much better spec/mileage/price than that. 

Biggest obvious difference between early 16 and 17 years is Sync3 - and that one does have it. 

grunty-motor

grunty-motor
  • Club Member
  • 2876 posts

..., how do you find the build date for a car ? .............

https://www.focusrso...ding/?p=6707055

Craig172

Craig172
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts
  • west yorkshire
  • craig

Great Many thanks for the info

Flying Fish

Flying Fish
  • Club Member
  • 1512 posts
  • Kent
  • Clive
  • Owns:Mk 3 RS (FW)

I would suggest that you deffo want a car with SYNC 3 which is the 2017 model, basically from Sept 2016, so a 66 plate, although some stock 2016 may have got through to sept / oct .

There is a sticker plate on the engine with a coded date as to when the engine was built at the Valencia engine plant, then would have been shipped to Saarlouis where all Focus' were built.  

Kaxe

Kaxe
  • Club Member
  • 9553 posts
  • South Central
  • Andrew
  • Owns:FPM375 Red Edition

The Grey Rs for sale looks tidy

+1 looks nice! :cool: A refreshing change from all the other colours that are more common! :yep:

Craig172

Craig172
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts
  • west yorkshire
  • craig

"Did look great", just gone to phone up its been advertised for a couple of weeks and its just been sold  :nope:

Kaxe

Kaxe
  • Club Member
  • 9553 posts
  • South Central
  • Andrew
  • Owns:FPM375 Red Edition

oh poo! :facepalm:

Good luck with your search... :nice:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users