Question for those in building trade - General Topic Discussion - Focus RS Owners Club

Question for those in building trade

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Mr Angry

Mr Angry
  • Club Member
  • 2731 posts
  • Yorkshire
  • Andy
Im sorting and clearing out my late dads garage and its pretty newish
The concrete floor has started to lift the floor paint as I dont think it was sealed first?

Whats the best and cheapest concrete sealer to use or would watered down PVA glue suffice?

Cheers

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

mickdundee

mickdundee
  • Club Member
  • 364 posts
  • Nothern Ireland
  • michael
  • Owns:Mk2, Mk3, FRS

Was the floor power floated when it was done Andy

old bloke

old bloke
  • Forum User
  • 71 posts
  • Cheshire green belt
  • phillip

Im sorting and clearing out my late dads garage and its pretty newish
The concrete floor has started to lift the floor paint as I dont think it was sealed first?

Whats the best and cheapest concrete sealer to use or would watered down PVA glue suffice?

Cheers

I did my garage floor a few years back ,gave it a good clean with pressure washer, sealed it with diluted p v a  adhesive, then 2 coats of floor paint, nice and now dust free, was a nightmare when ever I brushed the floor prior to sealing and painting.

• Mr Angry likes this

Mr Angry

Mr Angry
  • Club Member
  • 2731 posts
  • Yorkshire
  • Andy

I did my garage floor a few years back ,gave it a good clean with pressure washer, sealed it with diluted p v a  adhesive, then 2 coats of floor paint, nice and now dust free, was a nightmare when ever I brushed the floor prior to sealing and painting.

That’s the case I’ve got

@mickdundee

No I don’t think so, knowing my dad he did a mix of 3/1 by hand and skimmed it as he went along
Cheapest option

RS JACK

RS JACK
  • Forum User
  • 886 posts
  • North West
  • Jack

I have this issue its a nightmare but never got round to sorting it out, how much does it cost to get it properly sorted would you say?

• Simsy likes this

Scott288

Scott288
  • Club Member
  • 110 posts
  • Blackpool
  • Scott
I bought this for a dusty garage floor, big tub so did a few coats

I even did the concrete that leads up to the garage and its made a big difference

Just a brushed it on with a soft broom 😁

https://www.ebay.co....tm/324143920982

mickdundee

mickdundee
  • Club Member
  • 364 posts
  • Nothern Ireland
  • michael

That’s the case I’ve got

@mickdundee

No I don’t think so, knowing my dad he did a mix of 3/1 by hand and skimmed it as he went along
Cheapest

Evo-stik General purpose PVA

Bond-it   

Unibond waterproof PVA

All these mixed about 4or 5 parts water to 1 part PVA for sealing. All around £15

Are you just resealing the parts that have lifted and then repainting or you thinking about redoing the whole floor.

• Mr Angry likes this

old bloke

old bloke
  • Forum User
  • 71 posts
  • Cheshire green belt
  • phillip

I have this issue its a nightmare but never got round to sorting it out, how much does it cost to get it properly sorted would you say?

It was a double garage in my case  seem to recall around  £ 15 for P.V.A.  £ 30 for scuttle, extention pole, roller & sleeves , £ 70 for 10 litres of heavy duty floor paint.

Prior to applying the dilute mix of P.V.A. I found wetting the floor first gave better results than when applying to a dry surface.

• RS JACK likes this

Mr Angry

Mr Angry
  • Club Member
  • 2731 posts
  • Yorkshire
  • Andy

Evo-stik General purpose PVA
Bond-it   
Unibond waterproof PVA
All these mixed about 4or 5 parts water to 1 part PVA for sealing. All around £15
Are you just resealing the parts that have lifted and then repainting or you thinking about redoing the whole floor.

It’s been painted at least twice by the look of it
I’ll be taking off what’s already flaking and then sealing the concrete before it gets beyond repair
It’s only a few places where the car tyres have sat that’s worse but can be saved

mickdundee

mickdundee
  • Club Member
  • 364 posts
  • Nothern Ireland
  • michael

It’s been painted at least twice by the look of it
I’ll be taking off what’s already flaking and then sealing the concrete before it gets beyond repair
It’s only a few places where the car tyres have sat that’s worse but can be saved

Yea that could have been the problem. Car sat for a period of time, warmish weather and paint has stuck to tyres. Give it at least 2 coats and hoover all the dust off the area.

Mr Angry

Mr Angry
  • Club Member
  • 2731 posts
  • Yorkshire
  • Andy
Its not a massive garage but it’s just cluttered up with whatever my dad saved
I’ve loads of rubbish to take to the tip but they won’t accept scrap metal or electrical items yet so I’m moving it from one corner to another

To be honest, I’ve evicted my mums old Rav 4 and got the RS in there now so I’m slowly making it a man cave

Seems sense though, the Rav 4 only goes out once a week and I use mine daily (normally) so we decided to use the Rav 4 for everything
It’s on it’s last legs now so we’re running it into the ground

If she gets a new car then I’ll be evicted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users