• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

RSROG008

RSROG008
  • Club Member
  • 12938 posts
  • West country
  • Roger

Now for something really different. With the lockdown and restaurants closed are we getting better quality items when we shop. I noticed that soft fruit like strawberries/raspberries seem to be superior after years of small sour fruit being sold by supermarkets. Even veg like asparagus is much better certainly in the shops down here that are open.

Any one else noticed this change?

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

philjs

philjs
  • Club Member
  • 4492 posts

Now for something really different. With the lockdown and restaurants closed are we getting better quality items when we shop. I noticed that soft fruit like strawberries/raspberries seem to be superior after years of small sour fruit being sold by supermarkets. Even veg like asparagus is much better certainly in the shops down here that are open.

Any one else noticed this change?

Is it just the time of year Roger?    We tend to find the early season strawberry imports tend to be watery and less flavoursome whilst the UK crops including the early poly tunnel fruit taste better.   It could be the local non supermarkets are selling the poly tunnel UK crops.

• RSROG008 likes this

A and K Motorsport

A and K Motorsport

A and K Motorsport

• Sponsors
  • 2674 posts
  • Kent
  • Andy & Kirsty

:thumbsup: One huge result is that a lot of professional catering suppliers are now allowing the public to buy from them. We recently got a few packs of proper Bratwurst, Cheesewurst and Frankfurters like you normally only see at Christmas markets lol!

• RSROG008, Ian J and Flying Fish like this

Flying Fish

Flying Fish
  • Club Member
  • 1508 posts
  • Kent
  • Clive
  • Owns:Mk 3 RS (FW)

Were the good or wurst than normal !!!! 

• RSROG008 and A and K Motorsport like this

A and K Motorsport

A and K Motorsport

A and K Motorsport

• Sponsors
  • 2674 posts
  • Kent
  • Andy & Kirsty

Were the good or wurst than normal !!!! 

:thumbsup: Only tried the Cheese ones so far and they are amazing! :cloud9: 

Mr Angry

Mr Angry
  • Club Member
  • 2731 posts
  • Yorkshire
  • Andy
You’d have thought with weeks of lockdown and everyone errrr exercising good quality food wouldn’t be any problem
Eat as much as you like and burn it off with the ten hour walks and 100 mile bike rides

But there are some I’ve spotted that are usually well kept but now with a noticeable portly belly

I think it’s copious amounts of beer or lagers drunk at home
I’ve a gut coming along, again

Get those damn pubs open to loose weight and healthy eating

My mums a tremendous cook though so portions are mahooosive

Mad Paddy

Mad Paddy
  • Club Member
  • 1221 posts
  • Galway
  • Phil
  • Owns:FW focus RS
Being alot more active, nearly another 100miles cycled and also watching what I'm eating too.

Wkend, sat nite I'll have a few beers but that's about it

Sub2ltr

Sub2ltr
  • Club Member
  • 260 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Owns:R35 GTR

I noticed the cost went up !

Greedy supermarkets cashing in ?

peteg22

peteg22
  • Club Member
  • 3372 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Peter (Pete)
  • Owns:2009 PB Mk2 Focus RS
I think the current situation is opening people's eyes as to what is actually available on their doorstep! It's usually (though not always) better to shop from farm shops etc as the produce is usually fresher and in season; a fair amount of the stuff in supermarkets often comes from abroad, and whilst you can get things that aren't in season, you can bet your bottom dollar it's been chilled for weeks and sat in a shipping container for a fair amount of time... Always good to put money into the local businesses too! Just my tuppence worth... 😁👍🏻
  • RSROG008, A and K Motorsport, Sub2ltr and 3 others like this

Andy

Andy

Club Staff

• Club Staff
  • 10593 posts
  • Lincs
  • Andy
  • Owns:BMW 1M

Our local farmshops business must have increased tenfold since lockdown, and that seems to be repeated in several local villages.

I guess time will tell whether that trend continues, but I for one hope it does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users