Recession or Depression ahead? - Page 3 - General Topic Discussion - Focus RS Owners Club

Recession or Depression ahead?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Ian J

Ian J
  • Club Member
  • 5611 posts
  • North Wales
  • Ian

A centrist article on the financial impacts of the pandemic - https://www.npr.org/...t=1588185162060

AllSidesMediaBiasChart_Version1.1_11.18.

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

5_Pot_Pops

5_Pot_Pops
  • Club Member
  • 232 posts
  • Scotland South
  • Gordon

The SSP figure is what it was before pandemic - the Furlough figure is what they've decided they will cover,  no doubt worked out from a calculation of what should catch most people and be a reasonable amount at a guess.

The real question should be why the SSP is so low in the UK compared to what other European countries pay - I saw an article and I we're pretty much the bottom of the pile for sick pay.

Glassdoor did this a few years ago - https://www.glassdoo...ave_Final-2.pdf

Some of the approaches are fascinating such as sick pay being paid at 70% of your salary for up to 2yrs rather than the £95 fixed rate we have here. Some of these countries also pay sick pay to those who are self employed - a lot of things we should be doing

Wow! 70% salary for up to 2 years in the Netherlands. As a small business owner I have had two instances where employees have been on sick leave for 6 months at a time. The 1st time approx. 10 years ago, I was able to recover a proportion of the SSP I paid out. Last year however, one of the guys went on SSP for 6 months and I had to pay the lot. Also, because sick leave is not 'enjoyable leave' he accrued his full paid holiday entitlement, which has been carried over to this year. Now this is all well and good but at the end of the day the balance sheet needs to do just that. If UK ltd doesn't remain competitive then we all loose. I wonder if there has been a similar study for the 'emerging economies' with whom we will ultimately have to compete?

Ian J

Ian J
  • Club Member
  • 5611 posts
  • North Wales
  • Ian

Wow! 70% salary for up to 2 years in the Netherlands. As a small business owner I have had two instances where employees have been on sick leave for 6 months at a time. The 1st time approx. 10 years ago, I was able to recover a proportion of the SSP I paid out. Last year however, one of the guys went on SSP for 6 months and I had to pay the lot. Also, because sick leave is not 'enjoyable leave' he accrued his full paid holiday entitlement, which has been carried over to this year. Now this is all well and good but at the end of the day the balance sheet needs to do just that. If UK ltd doesn't remain competitive then we all loose. I wonder if there has been a similar study for the 'emerging economies' with whom we will ultimately have to compete?

From my understanding the Govt pays that 70% as SSP - so the business wouldn't take the hit. It makes sense to me that you get a percentage rather than a fixed amount which is effectively no good to man nor beast (£95 a week). It should be tougher to qualify for it so that no one can stiff the system though but it would be great to know the system was there to cover you in a bad situation.

Vorgem

Vorgem
  • Club Member
  • 505 posts
  • Central Scotland
  • William
  • Owns:NB MK3 FRS

The .gov website states furloughed workers can get 80% of their wages up to a monthly cap of £2500 and yet SSP is £95.85/ week. Granted the furloughed figure will be subject to PAYE but how can this difference be justified? The furlough scheme is fundamentally sound IMO however why such a high figure? Where's the money coming from to balance to books? Unless I missed it, can't recall any of the media outlets asking the government to explain how they arrived at his figure during their post briefing questions. 'To hell in a hand cart' here we come is my worry! 

The UK average wage for 2019 was £36,611 and 80% of that is 29,288 so 2,500 a month is £30,000 a year so close enough to the expected 80% of the average wage for 2020 of course before Covid. That should enable people to live without suffering financial hardship as there are savings on travel and holidays etc to factor in balanced against increase costs of electricity, gas and extra food. The UK will be in a very high debt position at the end of this which our children will still be paying off well after we have gone.

• 5_Pot_Pops likes this

Tc248carl

Tc248carl
  • Club Member
  • 245 posts
  • North Yorkshire
  • Carl.Chafer
  • Owns:Mk 2 RS Focus

Rs_steve_ug
I have to agree mate its all a big cover up!!!
Families who have had family members pass away from know illness like cancer,heart failure etc are fighting with the hospitals over the death certificates saying covid-19
When they died of what they had which was :censored: heart failure!!!
Why put covid-19?? We are being conned mate
How can the social isolating with used if you have two policeman sat in a car next to one another who then go back to there families at the end of the day to so called spread it to them who then go out to the shops and spread it around more!! Same for dustman,builders in vans !!!
Wake up people its all bull xhit!!!!

WTF......the industry I am.in requires me to often be less than 2m apart...you try carrying or moving a coffin in a different dignified way...at all times we take the best safety measures we can lots of death certificates don't say covid19....some will say suspect covid 19...I am seeing the sad side of this virus...and it clearly is having a big effect on deaths...because i am seeing so many more than normal per week....its not nice.i try to get on with life with my family at home and attempt to put to the back.of my mind about what's going on but it's now getting really hard....if you think its a cover up then crack on.dont socially distance..and get on with your life...then I just hope you dont end up knowing someone who has to pass through the kind of place I work...
  • jim o b, Gareth350, A and K Motorsport and 2 others like this

Jason Sullivan

Jason Sullivan
  • Club Member
  • 356 posts
  • South Wales
  • Jason
  • Owns:Shadow Black MK3 RS

All deaths are not being put as Covid - I know for a fact as my Brother lost his father in law in that April 3 week - despite being tested twice and having the symptoms he was negative and his certificate won't have Covid anywhere near it.

How do you accept the extra 12000 a week on that week ending Apr 17th - are you saying they didn't die?

As someone who works in the immunodiagnostic industry although I'm no longer in the Labs as I used to be don't be fixated on the "test is flawed" for sure better testing is on the way the company that I work for has one rushing through approval and numerous others will be doing the same.

What diagnostic areas are you mainly involved in Ian ?

Always interested in science/lab stuff as its my background too.

• Tc248carl likes this

Ian J

Ian J
  • Club Member
  • 5611 posts
  • North Wales
  • Ian

What diagnostic areas are you mainly involved in Ian ?

Always interested in science/lab stuff as its my background too.

I'll PM you to keep the thread on track :nice:

• Jason Sullivan likes this

5_Pot_Pops

5_Pot_Pops
  • Club Member
  • 232 posts
  • Scotland South
  • Gordon

The UK average wage for 2019 was £36,611 and 80% of that is 29,288 so 2,500 a month is £30,000 a year so close enough to the expected 80% of the average wage for 2020 of course before Covid. That should enable people to live without suffering financial hardship as there are savings on travel and holidays etc to factor in balanced against increase costs of electricity, gas and extra food. The UK will be in a very high debt position at the end of this which our children will still be paying off well after we have gone.

Yes that stacks up and thanks for clarifying. I still feel this is grossly excessive. If this lockdown continues with a protracted relaxation, and/or god forbid, they have to repeat the lockdown later in the year, the debt position will be even more crippling. The furlough scheme, I feel, should be about 'surviving' the pandemic and no more. Many people have to exist day to day on considerably less than £2500 / month. Stay at home, sit on your  :f:, protect the NHS & save lives. What a desperate situation to pass on to the next generation.

• RS3 and Tc248carl like this

GRP

GRP
  • Club Member
  • 38 posts
  • Abersychan
  • Gareth
  • Owns:MR290
The taxman have been in talks with accountants for months discussing the self employed rebates,but have also been saying a big global ressesion is on the way

RS3

RS3
  • Club Member
  • 898 posts
  • West Yorkshire
  • David

A centrist article on the financial impacts of the pandemic - https://www.npr.org/...t=1588185162060

AllSidesMediaBiasChart_Version1.1_11.18.

That chart is either inacurate or 10 to 20 years out of date. The Daily Mail is no longer Right but it does lean right, you cannot put Breitbart in the same category which is certainly right and I would say the BBC is at the very least leaning left and when the likes of Victoria Derbyshire, Naga Munchety, Fiona Bruce, Andrew Neil (I could go on and on) it is far left. The chart does show the overall bias to the left which is correct but no where near as left as it actually is. To suggest the Guardian is only leaning left is an absolute joke.

Ian J

Ian J
  • Club Member
  • 5611 posts
  • North Wales
  • Ian

That chart is either inacurate or 10 to 20 years out of date. The Daily Mail is no longer Right but it does lean right, you cannot put Breitbart in the same category which is certainly right and I would say the BBC is at the very least leaning left and when the likes of Victoria Derbyshire, Naga Munchety, Fiona Bruce, Andrew Neil (I could go on and on) it is far left. The chart does show the overall bias to the left which is correct but no where near as left as it actually is. To suggest the Guardian is only leaning left is an absolute joke.

I'd argue that seeing as looking at Bias is what they do that they might know more than you about the subject

https://www.allsides...ia-bias-ratings

By making the political leanings of hundreds of media sources transparent, AllSides frees people from filter bubbles so we can better understand the world — and each other.

Our Media Bias Ratings are determined using multiple methods and represent the average judgment of Americans. They are based on blind surveys of people across the political spectrum, multi-partisan analysis, editorial reviews, third party data, and tens of thousands of user feedback ratings. Our scientifically-generated ratings are fluid and subject to change as new information is gathered and biases change over time.

Unless otherwise noted as editorial content, all bias ratings are based on online versions of news coverage, not TV, print, or radio content.

While there should be a difference between the media bias seen in news coverage and the bias revealed in opinion and editorial content, increasingly there is not. AllSides often provides separate media bias ratings for news and opinion/editorial content from the same source.

RS3

RS3
  • Club Member
  • 898 posts
  • West Yorkshire
  • David
Theres a very very strong theme running through all these complaints and observations. The BBC is not just left leaning.
https://en.m.wikiped...cism_of_the_BBC

Ian J

Ian J
  • Club Member
  • 5611 posts
  • North Wales
  • Ian

Theres a very very strong theme running through all these complaints and observations. The BBC is not just left leaning.
https://en.m.wikiped...cism_of_the_BBC

Skipped this section then I take?

A study by Cardiff University academics, funded by the BBC Trust, was published in August 2013, examining the BBC's coverage of a broad range of issues. One of the findings was the dominance of party political sources. In coverage of immigration, the EU and religion, these accounted for 49.4% of all source appearances in 2007 and 54.8% in 2012. The data also showed that the Conservative Party received significantly more airtime than the Labour Party. In 2012, Conservative leader David Cameron outnumbered Labour leader Ed Miliband in appearances by a factor of nearly four to one (53 to 15), while Conservative cabinet members and ministers outnumbered their Labour counterparts by more than four to one (67 to 15).[14]

Former Director General of the BBC, Greg Dyke, has criticised the BBC as part of a "Westminster conspiracy" to maintain the British political system.[15]

In the run up to the 2019 general election, the BBC was accused by some Labour politicians and pundits of coverage that favours the ruling Conservative Party. For instance, they took issue with a clip used from a BBC Question Time leader's special episode where the part showing audience laughter at Prime Minister Boris Johnson's response to a certain question was edited out. BBC officials addressed the issue and admitted their mistake. Furthermore, the BBC was accused of subjecting Jeremy Corbyn and Jo Swinson to a gruelling interview by Andrew Neil but not requiring Johnson to go through the same and arranging it beforehand. Guardian columnist Owen Jones also took issue with the BBC rescinding its policy to not let Johnson be interviewed by Andrew Marr unless he goes through one with Neil. The BBC defended its decision to waive the requirement by citing national interest amidst a terror attack in London on 29 November 2019.[16][17]

Cold Fusion

Cold Fusion
  • Club Member
  • 1031 posts
  • North Wales
  • Nigel

Conservatives tell lies and when they do and get found out and it is reported by the BBC they complain of bias. Labour tell lies and when they do and get found out and it is reported by the BBC they complain of bias. Left and right tell lies, should that not be reported?

• Ian J likes this

RS3

RS3
  • Club Member
  • 898 posts
  • West Yorkshire
  • David

Skipped this section then I take?

A study by Cardiff University academics, funded by the BBC Trust, was published in August 2013, examining the BBC's coverage of a broad range of issues. One of the findings was the dominance of party political sources. In coverage of immigration, the EU and religion, these accounted for 49.4% of all source appearances in 2007 and 54.8% in 2012. The data also showed that the Conservative Party received significantly more airtime than the Labour Party. In 2012, Conservative leader David Cameron outnumbered Labour leader Ed Miliband in appearances by a factor of nearly four to one (53 to 15), while Conservative cabinet members and ministers outnumbered their Labour counterparts by more than four to one (67 to 15).[14]
Former Director General of the BBC, Greg Dyke, has criticised the BBC as part of a "Westminster conspiracy" to maintain the British political system.[15]
In the run up to the 2019 general election, the BBC was accused by some Labour politicians and pundits of coverage that favours the ruling Conservative Party. For instance, they took issue with a clip used from a BBC Question Time leader's special episode where the part showing audience laughter at Prime Minister Boris Johnson's response to a certain question was edited out. BBC officials addressed the issue and admitted their mistake. Furthermore, the BBC was accused of subjecting Jeremy Corbyn and Jo Swinson to a gruelling interview by Andrew Neil but not requiring Johnson to go through the same and arranging it beforehand. Guardian columnist Owen Jones also took issue with the BBC rescinding its policy to not let Johnson be interviewed by Andrew Marr unless he goes through one with Neil. The BBC defended its decision to waive the requirement by citing national interest amidst a terror attack in London on 29 November 2019.[16][17]

https://youtu.be/thrDwJ3O6sM

5_Pot_Pops

5_Pot_Pops
  • Club Member
  • 232 posts
  • Scotland South
  • Gordon

Priorities???

The Scottish Government has confirmed that EU students enrolling in the 2020/21 academic year will be entitled to free tuition fees in Scotland. EU students will retain that status for the duration of their four year degree.

Ian J

Ian J
  • Club Member
  • 5611 posts
  • North Wales
  • Ian

Priorities???

The Scottish Government has confirmed that EU students enrolling in the 2020/21 academic year will be entitled to free tuition fees in Scotland. EU students will retain that status for the duration of their four year degree.

Full context and explanation - https://www.gov.scot...or-eu-students/

• 5_Pot_Pops likes this

5_Pot_Pops

5_Pot_Pops
  • Club Member
  • 232 posts
  • Scotland South
  • Gordon

Full context and explanation - https://www.gov.scot...or-eu-students/

Thanks for the link Ian.

Having read the full context and explanation, degrees in Scotland last 4 years. Final sentence from your link ' It remains unclear whether the EU obligations in relation to student finance will cease to apply when the UK exits the EU'. 

So who pays for thousands of EU students to complete their degrees in Scotland?

The actual desperate situation https://reformscotla...funding-crisis/

Wee Eck may see his rocks melt after all.

• Ian J likes this

Watsi88

Watsi88
  • Club Member
  • 653 posts
  • Co Down
  • Simon
  • Owns:MR420F Clubsport

I'm not a massive believer in conspiracy theories but also try to keep an open mind about things.

As has been asked before though - can those who believe there is some sort of plan or organisation around this thing please tell me what there is to be gained from this if we enter a worldwide depression?

I do know that online retailers are making a killing at the minute but that is very short term, if we enter many years or even decades of economic decline this will hurt everyone regardless I believe (although I'm happy to be corrected on that). So I'm left wondering who would benefit from this in the long term if it is indeed as some say a 'plandemic'?

Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users