34 replies to this topic

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo
  • Owns:Something fast

I think you need to watch it for what it is rather than comparing it to old TG.

I like the fact there's not too much 'serious' road test of cars that only a handful of people can afford, in fact the less road tests the better! :)

All the larking around with cheap bangers & challenges I like, it's the sort of thing I'd get up to with mates for a laugh.

Also good that there's no star in the car every week! :)

Looking forward to tonights episode. :)

But I don't think you can. It is the old Top Gear in terms of production and content. Ok the :censored: in a car has gone thank god for that but the show is fundamentally the same. So what we default to is saying what was it like before vs how is it now.
I think they take some getting used to. But whilst I found them really annoying to begin with that has lessened I'd say. The show they did recently in Peru had some good parts to it. You'll never get away from the fact that Chris is the only real driver there but I think if you give it a go it isn't that bad. I'm trying to be fair here.
  • Gareth350 likes this

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Gareth350

Gareth350

London & South East region

• Regional Rep
  • 22731 posts
  • south east

But I don't think you can. It is the old Top Gear in terms of production and content. Ok the :censored: in a car has gone thank god for that but the show is fundamentally the same. So what we default to is saying what was it like before vs how is it now.
I think they take some getting used to. But whilst I found them really annoying to begin with that has lessened I'd say. The show they did recently in Peru had some good parts to it. You'll never get away from the fact that Chris is the only real driver there but I think if you give it a go it isn't that bad. I'm trying to be fair here.

I agree with you Neo but funnily, I found last nights episode poor! :laughing:
  • theneone likes this

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo
  • Owns:Something fast

I agree with you Neo but funnily, I found last nights episode poor! :laughing:

Lol you're too much mate
  • Gareth350 likes this

Jason Sullivan

Jason Sullivan
  • Club Member
  • 356 posts
  • South Wales
  • Jason
  • Owns:Shadow Black MK3 RS

How would you be able to make that judgement without watching?

I wasn't making a judgement or comparing all I stated was Clarkson, Hammond & May evey time for me and have chose not to watch Top Gear since they left.

Petenofear

Petenofear
  • Forum User
  • 26 posts
I do agree Jason always been clarkson , Hammond and may for me ,, and never watched it for some time and that plonker Chris Evans, there was no way I was going to ,,

I have only just started watching again and I do like it and I do find them funny,,

But it’s up to you mate it’s your choice
  • Jason Sullivan likes this

Ian J

Ian J
  • Club Member
  • 5598 posts
  • North Wales
  • Ian

I wasn't making a judgement or comparing all I stated was Clarkson, Hammond & May evey time for me and have chose not to watch Top Gear since they left.

You're missing out to be honest...but heyho

rs_steve_ug

rs_steve_ug
  • Club Member
  • 755 posts
  • Wales
  • Steve
  • Owns:MK2 Focus RS UG.

I love Clarkson and co, but feel they were starting to get boring, everything the same done out thing. I cancelled my Amazon subscription, bought it only for Grand Tour, watched a few of the first season and one of the second. Just didn't have the time to go back and watch the rest and kinda felt a bit switched off sadly. The bit with the person in the river was way too repetitive.

Third season was better. They dropped all the :censored:. Season 4 is all long specials...only been one so far.

PerRSFmk3

PerRSFmk3
  • Forum User
  • 1811 posts
  • Per

I love my car shows but haven't watched the current Top Gear series. Can gel with Paddy and Freddie.

And as per others' comments, no matter what these 3 do the content will always follow the format of Clarkson Hammond and May and cannot escape that comparison. If it was totally reinvented - new set, new design, new concept, then it may become watchable.

Last episode of Grand Tour wasn't especially great either so the trio are starting themselves to become repetitive.

Ian J

Ian J
  • Club Member
  • 5598 posts
  • North Wales
  • Ian

I love my car shows but haven't watched the current Top Gear series. Can gel with Paddy and Freddie.

And as per others' comments, no matter what these 3 do the content will always follow the format of Clarkson Hammond and May and cannot escape that comparison. If it was totally reinvented - new set, new design, new concept, then it may become watchable.

Last episode of Grand Tour wasn't especially great either so the trio are starting themselves to become repetitive.

You should watch Gino, Gordon and Fred - not exactly a car show but funnier threesome than anything Clarkson/Hammond and May did for the last 3 seasons of their TG as they were :censored: repetitive and predictable in 2010 lol

Jason Sullivan

Jason Sullivan
  • Club Member
  • 356 posts
  • South Wales
  • Jason

than anything Clarkson/Hammond and May did for the last 3 seasons of their TG as they were :censored: repetitive and predictable in 2010 lol

But you continued to watch it I bet  :yep:  :wink:

Ian J

Ian J
  • Club Member
  • 5598 posts
  • North Wales
  • Ian

But you continued to watch it I bet  :yep:  :wink:

Love cars, always loved the cinematography (no one does it better than the BBC imho) but I'd be on my phone when they were predictably going through the motions  - it had run it's course, and it sounds like even the most ardent of followers has figured that out on Grand Tour going by the above.

I've been watching it since I was about 10 I think, so if I can survive Chris Goffey raving about some 80's diesel I think I could manage most!

• old bloke likes this

Jason Sullivan

Jason Sullivan
  • Club Member
  • 356 posts
  • South Wales
  • Jason

Love cars, always loved the cinematography (no one does it better than the BBC imho) but I'd be on my phone when they were predictably going through the motions  - it had run it's course, and it sounds like even the most ardent of followers has figured that out on Grand Tour going by the above.

I've been watching it since I was about 10 I think, so if I can survive Chris Goffey raving about some 80's diesel I think I could manage most!

Was slightly older when I first watched it !

ukgulf

ukgulf
  • Club Member
  • 983 posts
  • Kent
  • Jeff
  • Owns:Focus RS MK2

Love new Top Gear, love Grand Tour. Double whammy  :yep:

Ian J

Ian J
  • Club Member
  • 5598 posts
  • North Wales
  • Ian

Was slightly older when I first watched it !

Chris Goffey was a tough ask at 10 - and watching the programme just in the hope of something interesting being on it was also tough back then, no preview or TV guide lol

old bloke

old bloke
  • Forum User
  • 71 posts
  • Cheshire green belt
  • phillip

Not forgetting William Woolard  he :censored: himself when he drove Hannu Mikkola's short wheel base Quattro , Steve Berry  a motorbike man ?, Angela Rippon !!!!!!!!!  Kate Humble !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . Jason Dawes the used car salesman with his marker pen writing the price of this weeks best used car on its windscreen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  and Quentin Wilson who insisted on calling every classic car he'd   feature "  SHE IS A REAL HONEY."  ( pass the sick bag please ).   W.T.F.  :nope:

• Ian J likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users