Track day car

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

K30FUS

K30FUS
  • Club Member
  • 1668 posts
  • Keith

It’s been a long-standing desire of mine to do some track days, but given my inexperience if there’s no way I want to use my RS or Fiesta ST.

So when this little 1.6 Turbo Corsa SRi came up for £2000 I bought it.

it has the VXR Recaro CS seats, ST X (KW) coilovers and brand new brakes and dunlop tyres. It also has a nice a Android headunit plus some nice upgrades like climate control and trip computer with bigger screen.

A great buy and an ideal car for its purpose.

Attached File  33DF2D5C-550D-4DCD-9FDC-FEF421EEE980.jpeg   128.15KB   0 downloads

Attached File  C50B0D1A-3CA6-480B-854A-1F6AEBF5B8D6.jpeg   129.81KB   0 downloads

Attached File  FBCA263B-6518-49A1-B391-EBD7A4389E58.jpeg   91.69KB   0 downloads

Attached File  A7CE5430-1F37-4777-A418-BD7216352A79.jpeg   77.5KB   0 downloads

Road tax at £300 per year is twice the insurance cost!

• RS-Kel, R5 5KOT, Kaxe and 5 others like this

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

ChrisCh

ChrisCh
  • Forum User
  • 1445 posts
  • Greater London
  • Chris
  • Owns:RS

Is the Turbo standard to the SRI? I assume it's been added later.

Looks like a great car to rag around the track. After a few gos you can take the RS  :thumbsup:

• K30FUS likes this

Kaxe

Kaxe
  • Club Member
  • 9549 posts
  • South Central
  • Andrew
  • Owns:FPM375 Red Edition

Nice that'll do the job perfectly! :yep: 

:woohoo: 

• K30FUS likes this

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo
  • Owns:Something fast
For 2k it's perfect to learn to drive on track with. Are you going to do anything to it?
  • K30FUS likes this

K30FUS

K30FUS
  • Club Member
  • 1668 posts
  • Keith

Looks like a great car to rag around the track. After a few gos you can take the RS  :thumbsup:

It’s a factory car, the engine is the same as the VXR but tuned only to 150 bhp, but of course it’s easy to remap it to VXR levels.

For 2k it's perfect to learn to drive on track with. Are you going to do anything to it?

Not really, I bought it for a purpose really, though I have bought a pair of secondhand headlamps with projector lenses.

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo
  • Owns:Something fast
I like it. Looks like fun. Got to do something like this myself. I'll be watching your progress if you post. :nice:
  • K30FUS likes this

graeme

graeme
  • Club Member
  • 3468 posts
  • romford
  • Graeme

I don't know too much about Corsas but ive never seen a 1.6 turbo apart from the VXR :yep: looks like someones VXR has donated a few bits  :whistle:

• K30FUS likes this

RS-Kel

RS-Kel
  • Club Member
  • 3182 posts
  • North West
  • Owns:Several Cars

wow hell of a car for 2K 

• graeme and K30FUS like this

JohnD

JohnD
  • Club Member
  • 1731 posts
  • Romford
  • John

The climate control will be perfect on track! :wink:

Seriously though, that'll be great fun on track, especially on a compact circuit like Brands.

My son bought a Mk6 Fiesta ST for track days and stripped it out, changed the brakes, suspension and ran Yokahama road legal track tyres.  Also put in Cobra seats and full harnesses.  With just 150 bhp it was a hoot!

When he sold it he put everything back to normal. With the engine and transmission perfect, the buyer was none the wiser. :whistle:

JohnD

• K30FUS likes this

Mark-250

Mark-250
  • Club Member
  • 916 posts
  • Mark
Nice car it will be great for learning track driving beware it will become addictive and then gets expensive lol
Imo best way of doing it having a dedicated track car, at least if something happens its not your daily that is broke
Ive drove corsa VXRs on track and they are fun little cars
Mine

Attached File  6D640D69-949A-4119-B397-9EA0CC1672B5.jpeg   86.19KB   0 downloads
  • K30FUS likes this

K30FUS

K30FUS
  • Club Member
  • 1668 posts
  • Keith

I don't know too much about Corsas but ive never seen a 1.6 turbo apart from the VXR :yep: looks like someones VXR has donated a few bits  :whistle:

They are rare as the VXR wasn’t much more money new.

The seats are VXR, the rest is SRi. Nice to have another pair of CS seats.

• graeme likes this

Ian J

Ian J
  • Club Member
  • 5598 posts
  • North Wales
  • Ian

Like Mark above I've driven plenty of Corsa VXR's on track, mostly the Nurburgring one's which came with the Drexler diff, the Bilstein dampers and Brembo brakes - pretty much ideal for the job in hand.

Buyers guide here which will give you the pointers to look out for, usual stuff such as the M32 box and the piston 4 issue - basically if the gear lever doesn't move of it's own accord and the thing isn't smoking then you've probably don't pretty well at that price

https://www.autocar....vxr-nurburgring

K30FUS

K30FUS
  • Club Member
  • 1668 posts
  • Keith

wow hell of a car for 2K 

Yes, there’s a story behind it and a friend of 30 years sold it to me. The person he got it from now has a VXR.

Like Mark above I've driven plenty of Corsa VXR's on track, mostly the Nurburgring one's which came with the Drexler diff, the Bilstein dampers and Brembo brakes - pretty much ideal for the job in hand.

Buyers guide here which will give you the pointers to look out for, usual stuff such as the M32 box and the piston 4 issue - basically if the gear lever doesn't move of it's own accord and the thing isn't smoking then you've probably don't pretty well at that price

https://www.autocar....vxr-nurburgring

The gearbox has been fixed and has the newer bearings and end case fitted.

Ian J

Ian J
  • Club Member
  • 5598 posts
  • North Wales
  • Ian

Yes, there’s a story behind it and a friend of 30 years sold it to me. The person he got it from now has a VXR.

The gearbox has been fixed and has the newer bearings and end case fitted.

All good then, I never had an issue with my M32 box in my Astra VXR but weirdly when we cracked it open to put a diff in it there was one of the newer bearings and one of the superseded old one's!!!

They did seem to go more often in Corsa's whether that was more to do with the age/experience of those drivers I don't know

• K30FUS likes this

R5 5KOT

R5 5KOT
  • Forum User
  • 20160 posts
  • SCOTLAND
  • SCOTT
  • Owns:BLACK PEARL

I had a turbo corsa SRI a few years ago just a VXR with less power great wee car I blew a turbo and gearbox in it though in under 10.000 miles :laughing: 

Captjack

Captjack
  • Club Member
  • 747 posts
  • Dorset
  • Steve

The climate control will be perfect on track! :wink:

Seriously though, that'll be great fun on track, especially on a compact circuit like Brands.

My son bought a Mk6 Fiesta ST for track days and stripped it out, changed the brakes, suspension and ran Yokahama road legal track tyres.  Also put in Cobra seats and full harnesses.  With just 150 bhp it was a hoot!

When he sold it he put everything back to normal. With the engine and transmission perfect, the buyer was none the wiser. :whistle:

JohnD

He will be now if he comes on here !!!

• K30FUS and elgassi like this

peteg22

peteg22
  • Club Member
  • 3372 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Peter (Pete)
  • Owns:2009 PB Mk2 Focus RS
@K30FUS Nice one! I would LOVE to own a dedicated track car, track days are addictive; I'd be at my local track every weekend if I had the means! Keep us posted with how you get on, I'd be interested to hear. 👍🏻
  • K30FUS likes this

K30FUS

K30FUS
  • Club Member
  • 1668 posts
  • Keith

@K30FUS Nice one! I would LOVE to own a dedicated track car, track days are addictive; I'd be at my local track every weekend if I had the means! Keep us posted with how you get on, I'd be interested to hear.

Will do my best

K30FUS

K30FUS
  • Club Member
  • 1668 posts
  • Keith

Got me some upgrade headlamps for the Corsa:

Attached File  IMG_20200107_134208.jpg   194.56KB   0 downloads

Not expensive and will make a dig difference to it, slip some H7 LED bulbs in there too.

DHL broke a tab off, but I used this glue to fix it, if you need to glue plastic I recommend it, though it's not cheap.

https://www.ebay.co....9gAAOSwVH9b4Ld3

K30FUS

K30FUS
  • Club Member
  • 1668 posts
  • Keith

Being a track car I bought it an essential bit of kit....

Attached File  0F1B8565-4DA4-4560-AB0B-B443109F3354.jpeg   93.92KB   0 downloads

Ha ha, remember the car will get used off track too and it’s never intended to be a race car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users