Recommendations please... Home CCTV with DVR - Page 7 - General Topic Discussion - Focus RS Owners Club

Recommendations please... Home CCTV with DVR

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

Jon

Jon
  • Club Member
  • 10201 posts
  • Suffolk
@theneone @Alb

Chaps, if your NVRs are the RNL8-410-E models, do you know what firmware you are running? I tried to update mine today by USB but it failed, which may be because I'm already on the latest version. The file names and the Reolink download centre weren't that helpful I found.

Cameras I updated fine I may add.
  • Kaywood likes this

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Alb

Alb
  • Club Member
  • 2915 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
  • Owns:Mk2 RS MP350

I updated mine to v2.0.0.249_20011608101 a few weeks ago.

• Jon likes this

Jon

Jon
  • Club Member
  • 10201 posts
  • Suffolk

I updated mine to v2.0.0.249_20011608101 a few weeks ago.

Mine did need updating. It must have been a corrupted file that I downloaded onto the USB stick, I've redone it again from the support centre and now also have the same version as you have posted. Thanks Alb.
  • Alb likes this

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo
  • Owns:Something fast
Sorry Jon just saw this, yes I've got the same system but follow alb as I haven't updated software for a while now.
One piece of advice when setting it up. As you add cameras if you get any problems make sure to do a whole system reboot when they're all connected. Or else some might appear offline.
  • Jon likes this

Jon

Jon
  • Club Member
  • 10201 posts
  • Suffolk

Sorry Jon just saw this, yes I've got the same system but follow alb as I haven't updated software for a while now.
One piece of advice when setting it up. As you add cameras if you get any problems make sure to do a whole system reboot when they're all connected. Or else some might appear offline.

Thanks, good advice. I'm finding it a great system but like all things there are a few quirks.

Going to order a couple more cameras this weekend, I think 6 will be the limit for my needs. Might go for the ones with the 4x optical zoom which for a couple of locations I'd find rather useful.

I've had to sort out network switches and new wiring as well to get mine set up and online due to the where I've located the NVR, all fun though :grin:
  • theneone likes this

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo
  • Owns:Something fast

Thanks, good advice. I'm finding it a great system but like all things there are a few quirks.

Going to order a couple more cameras this weekend, I think 6 will be the limit for my needs. Might go for the ones with the 4x optical zoom which for a couple of locations I'd find rather useful.

I've had to sort out network switches and new wiring as well to get mine set up and online due to the where I've located the NVR, all fun though :grin:

The app is great. So I had a case last week when only 1 of 2 boxes was delivered. Contacted the supplier, told them I had CCTV, within minutes found the footage, downloaded it on to mobile and it was ready to go even via WhatsApp. Image very very clear. Swann was complete rubbish. I'm surprised Costco even sell their stuff.
  • Jon likes this

Jon

Jon
  • Club Member
  • 10201 posts
  • Suffolk

Swann was complete rubbish. I'm surprised Costco even sell their stuff.

As I said earlier in this thread I've never had a Swann system but there is a lot of chat on the internet about the low quality of their systems and also their poor customer service. I'm quite impressed with the quality of the Reolink cameras, they seem quite sturdy and the parts that are plastic seem well made and robust. The NVR also feels pretty solid, time will tell of course. They also have a well populated support website and maintain an interaction both online and direct with customers. I know you had a faulty camera but they sorted that iirc.
  • theneone likes this

Alb

Alb
  • Club Member
  • 2915 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb

You can only fit a second internal disk in the 16 channel NVR.

It's actually best IMHO to wait and see how much data is written before you decide expansion is essential.

I get about 30 days storage with 4 (5MP) cameras connected and that's ample for me.

Just an update on this - I now have 5 cameras in use (3x5MP + 2x8MP) and it's running at about 14 days.

Jon

Jon
  • Club Member
  • 10201 posts
  • Suffolk

Just an update on this - I now have 5 cameras in use (3x5MP + 2x8MP) and it's running at about 14 days.

Out of interest Alb is that 24/7 or motion recording and is it with or without audio.
14 days sounds pretty good to me for five in total and two being 8mp.

Alb

Alb
  • Club Member
  • 2915 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb

That's motion triggered with audio Jon.

24/7 recording is extremely wasteful and ultimately pointless because most of the footage will contain nothing of interest.

All of my cameras are external so you do still get a lot of unnecessary footage when they are triggered by something like foliage moving in the wind so you have to play with sensitivity till you get a compromise you are happy with.

Kaywood

Kaywood
  • Club Member
  • 777 posts
  • Dave

@theneone @Alb

Chaps, if your NVRs are the RNL8-410-E models, do you know what firmware you are running? I tried to update mine today by USB but it failed, which may be because I'm already on the latest version. The file names and the Reolink download centre weren't that helpful I found.

Cameras I updated fine I may add.

Ha. I'm going through exact same thing with my NVR are moment. N Reolink support are being pretty useless! Going round in circles with them!

Though mine is the older RNL8-410. Not E and the current firmware level doesn't allow upgrade from client app. Have to upgrade on NVR via USB. Keeps stating successful upgrade. Yet firmware level still shows old version after upgrade! 🙄

Jon

Jon
  • Club Member
  • 10201 posts
  • Suffolk

Keeps stating successful upgrade. Yet firmware level still shows old version after upgrade! 🙄

I take it you're seeing the firmware version on the screen when you select it from the menu?

Done a reboot after upgrading?

Alb

Alb
  • Club Member
  • 2915 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb

If it's the January update you are talking about, the release notes suggest it's for the -E version only.

"Note: If your NVR's model number is not RLN8-410-E or RLN4, please wait for the new firmware release."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users