Recommendations please... Home CCTV with DVR - Page 3 - General Topic Discussion - Focus RS Owners Club

Recommendations please... Home CCTV with DVR

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo
  • Owns:Something fast

Any particular reason why you've gone for only 4x4k cameras out of the 8 total?

I wanted some to be dome. They don't do 4k dome. But also 5mp is plenty good for where I'm planning to put them. The 4k ones I want watching the road and sides of the house. Also 5mp are marginally cheaper overall. My old system was 3mp so this will be a good step up. And looking at Alb's image which I think is 5mp it looks pretty decent.
  • Jon likes this

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Andy

Andy

Club Staff

• Club Staff
  • 10604 posts
  • Lincs
  • Andy
  • Owns:BMW 1M

I was going to get a cctv system but I truly believe that it wont stop a thief from taking our cars. The types of people who take our types of cars are mostly organised criminals and pay little scruffs to take them who wouldnt care less about a cctv system.

There's some truth in that, based on the CCTV evidence of said scrotes breaking into my mates house and taking his Audi S3.

Cross border thieves targeting specific high performance cars for their "work". His was later pursued (further North) in a police chase and ended up a write off as a result.

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo

There's some truth in that, based on the CCTV evidence of said scrotes breaking into my mates house and taking his Audi S3.

Cross border thieves targeting specific high performance cars for their "work". His was later pursued (further North) in a police chase and ended up a write off as a result.

My neighbour had his st stolen. Organised crime from Birmingham. My CCTV helped put them away. It's a layer of protection and together with other evidence can help seal the deal.
  • graeme and Alb like this

Alb

Alb
  • Club Member
  • 2915 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
  • Owns:Mk2 RS MP350

It's a layer of protection

That's the key :yep:

• Dave276 and theneone like this

Jon

Jon
  • Club Member
  • 10201 posts
  • Suffolk

That's the key :yep:

The key is also a layer of protection too :grin:

I wanted some to be dome.

As do I so thanks for clarifying. Domes look a lot better for residential locations in my opinion over the bullet shaped ones.

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo
Well just got the pack. Impressively packed. But one of the domes is already scratched internally. Have emailed support. Let's see what they do! Opening the rest

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo
Ok I'm a bit tired now. Started testing the cameras before installation. One of the domes already doesn't focus. The other does. It's a wtf situation. I'll start fresh in the morning. I have looked on their website. It's nothing to do with moving objects or white walls. Same conditions as last camera. Maybe system needs reboot. The setup of the app was very easy indeed on plus side. And quality of image over the app is much clearer than Swann. Also cameras feel better built. And I like the adjustment it's just one screw as opposed to three for Swann.

Jon

Jon
  • Club Member
  • 10201 posts
  • Suffolk

Also cameras feel better built.

Are they metal bodied, plastic, bit of both?

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo

Are they metal bodied, plastic, bit of both?

Metal and quite sturdy I'll take some pics for you in a bit
  • Jon likes this

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo
Some pics one camera is scratched as mentioned - they've replied and said they'll sort. One doesn't focus. No matter what you do. So I've emailed them. I'm also looking to upgrade firmware to see if that will sort. I always test them before fitting or else waste of time undoing things.

Attached File  20191214_081427.jpg   103.27KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20191214_081443.jpg   77.11KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20191214_081449.jpg   88.81KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20191214_081458.jpg   175.41KB   0 downloads
  • Jon likes this

Jon

Jon
  • Club Member
  • 10201 posts
  • Suffolk
They look good and thanks, I think I've made my decision now and it's Reolink being ordered later.

With the domes, I take it the camera within the done can be moved manually to point in a different direction so that you're not stuck with the angle created once the base is fixed to a wall?

That's a lot of wire, the network ones will be all "spares' for me as I have cat5e already run in waiting. I'd order with out the wires if I could
  • theneone likes this

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo

They look good and thanks, I think I've made my decision now and it's Reolink being ordered later.

With the domes, I take it the camera within the done can be moved manually to point in a different direction so that you're not stuck with the angle created once the base is fixed to a wall?

That's a lot of wire, the network ones will be all "spares' for me as I have cat5e already run in waiting. I'd order with out the wires if I could

Those blue wires mate are all test wires. I'll be installing cat5e myself all round. Their service so far also seems good by the way. They're offering to replace the scratched one or discount it. And for the faulty one that's not focusing I'm sure they'll change it.

As for manipulating the direction it's easy. You take off the dome cover. And with care there are two screws at 9am and 3pm of you like that you undo to allow the camera to rotate left and right. This way you could in theory put it on a wall vertically and get an angle up and down an alley way. Then there's another screw you undo along the same sort of area that allows the camera to go up and down. So it's adjustable. And good.

When these niggles are sorted I think it'll be a good system.

Alb

Alb
  • Club Member
  • 2915 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
  • Owns:Mk2 RS MP350

The CAT5e they provide is pre-terminated at both ends which is OK for an internal installation but unhelpful for an external one.

I used my own cable as it's pretty cheap.

• Jon likes this

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo
Have a look here. Not same camera exactly buy you'll get an idea. They've undone the screws here.

https://support.reol...LC-422-RLC-422W

The CAT5e they provide is pre-terminated at both ends which is OK for an internal installation but unhelpful for an external one.

Yep same here.
  • Jon likes this

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo
Getting my electrician to fit. About £230. And not worth the brain ache for me working full time. We have a bungalow so he'll go through loft and wire it all up nicely and down to the monitor. It's a day of work. And whilst I could do it (it isn't hard work or complicated but it is a faff) I've got to the point now where any free time I want to spend resting or with my family.

Jon

Jon
  • Club Member
  • 10201 posts
  • Suffolk
Makes sense regarding the free time, fully understand that.

I'm not sure if I'll have a monitor in my utility room with the NVR or just use my phone to view as/when I need to. A monitor is obviously better but im not sure I personally have the need, although our circumstances all differ of course.

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo

Makes sense regarding the free time, fully understand that.

I'm not sure if I'll have a monitor in my utility room with the NVR or just use my phone to view as/when I need to. A monitor is obviously better but im not sure I personally have the need, although our circumstances all differ of course.

I like having the monitor next to the TV. So when we are in the living room we have it on all the time and can see who is at the door and what's going on without bother. It's very convenient especially when my neighbour comes over and I don't want to let him in :laughing: ... Only kidding

Downside is you're really supposed to hide the boxes in case they're taken. The cameras themselves I believe have room for an SD card just in case. But my house is not a bank vault. It's got to be practical for me too to access. I might hide the box elsewhere now and leave the monitor in the living room using a very long hdmi cable. When I need to playback I can do so online or directly at the box. It's very useful having the monitor indeed.

Jon

Jon
  • Club Member
  • 10201 posts
  • Suffolk

Is crimping on RJ45s fairly straightforward? I've seen a few YouTube videos of how to do it.

graeme

graeme
  • Club Member
  • 3475 posts
  • romford
  • Graeme

I like having the monitor next to the TV. So when we are in the living room we have it on all the time and can see who is at the door and what's going on without bother. It's very convenient especially when my neighbour comes over and I don't want to let him in :laughing: ... Only kidding
Downside is you're really supposed to hide the boxes in case they're taken. The cameras themselves I believe have room for an SD card just in case. But my house is not a bank vault. It's got to be practical for me too to access. I might hide the box elsewhere now and leave the monitor in the living room using a very long hdmi cable. When I need to playback I can do so online or directly at the box. It's very useful having the monitor indeed.

can you not use your TV as a monitor save having seperate one ,or do you want to view it constantly.

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo

can you not use your TV as a monitor save having seperate one ,or do you want to view it constantly.

You can mate but then switching across. I like to have it there in the background always on. Like a shop keeper lol
  • graeme likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users