Recommendations please... Home CCTV with DVR - General Topic Discussion - Focus RS Owners Club

Recommendations please... Home CCTV with DVR

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

RS Jon

RS Jon
  • Club Member
  • 188 posts
  • Northants
  • Jon
  • Owns:Nitrous Blue RS

Missus has decided she wants to get cameras fitted to the outside of the house after a recent spate of crime in our village but doesnt want one of these subscription based camera's like Hive, Ring etc.  So have been looking at systems where you get cameras and a DVR which the footage records direct onto.  Anyone have experience of these systems and can recommend one to look at?  Minimum we would need would be 2 cameras but could make use of up to 4 if included.

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

graeme

graeme
  • Club Member
  • 3477 posts
  • romford
  • Graeme
Cameras dont seem to put the scum off ,I've seen so many videos of peoples cars being driven off of peoples drives.
  • Ultimate Green RS and John Johnson like this

Eoin

Eoin
  • Club Member
  • 114 posts
  • Ian
I have a lorex 4 camera system, 7 day recording with an app for my phone which I can obviously watch through WiFi. I bought it through maplin at the time - does the job for me and our local constabulary. They wanted footage regarding passing traffic.
  • RS Jon likes this

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo
  • Owns:Something fast
Swann works fine. Try to get as high resolution as possible. Try Costco.
  • RS Jon likes this

Lockiesat28

Lockiesat28
  • Club Member
  • 27 posts
  • Leicestershire
  • Bryan
  • Owns:MK2 RS PB Revo 4
I have a Swann system. Works great, use the app when away from home to be reassured everything is ok. Mine is a Poe system ( power over Ethernet) so only one cable to route.
  • philjs and RS Jon like this

nelly rs

nelly rs
  • Club Member
  • 1267 posts
  • North Wales
  • Owns:Mk2 UG Mk3 R.E.
Swann system is great, screwfix stock them ;-)
  • RS Jon likes this

Alb

Alb
  • Club Member
  • 2915 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
  • Owns:Mk2 RS MP350

I just installed a Reolink POE system.

Here's an example of image quality:

Attached File  Sample.jpg   259.89KB   9 downloads

• philjs, Ultimate Green RS, BlueLagoon and 4 others like this

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo

Cameras dont seem to put the scum off ,I've seen so many videos of peoples cars being driven off of peoples drives.

Mine has led to one gang of thieves being caught after stealing my neighbour's focus ST, caught a drunk driver who crashed in front of our house, two hit and runs and one burglary. Over the space of 8 years so we don't live in a ghetto :laughing: but they do serve a purpose. Even the slightest bit more information can help the police.

Sample.jpg

That's amazing. Is that 4k?
  • Ultimate Green RS, graeme, Kaywood and 1 other like this

Alb

Alb
  • Club Member
  • 2915 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb

It's 5MP (2560 by 1920)

Better than the image you see here because the board downscales image uploads (to 1200 by 900 in this instance).

• philjs, Dave276, theneone and 1 other like this

Kaywood

Kaywood
  • Club Member
  • 777 posts
  • Dave
I also use Reolink. Got 7 cameras.

Day picture quality is Amazing. But the night quality is a bit below standard. You need either good lighting (street lights or existing garden lighting) or if your areas are really dark you prob want to chuck in a few extra IR LED security lights.

Dahua is better kit than the Reolink. Wish I'd have gone for that.

(Done a side by side comparison, as my mate installs Dahua)
  • RS Jon and elgassi like this

Mark-250

Mark-250
  • Club Member
  • 916 posts
  • Mark
I have a POE Sannce system for the money it is a really good quality image, night image is not bad either but you have to make sure there are no spiders webs over the lens as the IR reflects off them.

https://www.ebay.co....TIAAOSwKAJbMzJZ
  • RS Jon and elgassi like this

Alb

Alb
  • Club Member
  • 2915 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb

Spider clearance is a regular event :lol:

• philjs and Finecutt like this

Finecutt

Finecutt
  • Club Member
  • 637 posts

@Alb your dead right...  getting notifications of movement to find a spider spinning another web... :facepalm:

I've got a Hikvision system and would definitely recommend it.  4 cameras that go back to a dvr that backs up the footage.  You can decide how big of hard drive you want but the bigger the storage, the bigger the price.  I went for a 4GB and that backs up anywhere between 4-5 weeks of footage.

loads of places on eBay sell the and your also able to configure a setup for your requirements.  dvr choice, no. of cameras etc.

It really is simple to install yourself as well..  again loads of YouTube vids about installation

but if you get professional installation he'll be able to recommend a kit and put it all up for you too which I guess might be a better way to go judging from the post but it is a doddle to do..  if I lived closure I would have give you a hand...

• Dave276 likes this

Mark-250

Mark-250
  • Club Member
  • 916 posts
  • Mark
I now have a telescopic washing line prop and extendable feather duster attached to that and it just about reaches the camera
  • philjs, Alb and Finecutt like this

N20CKB

N20CKB
  • Forum User
  • 141 posts
  • North Wales
  • Nick
  • Owns:Mk2 RS Revo 5
I’ve not received mine yet but just ordered a tonton system off amazon as it gets great reviews and great customer care apparently, will update you with my experience

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo

Sample.jpg

@Alb I'm looking for a new system now. Something other than Swann. Looking at Hikvision. But again saw your image. Are you happy with it? What's the night pic like?
And where did you buy yours? Can you recommend a retailer please? Thank you

Alb

Alb
  • Club Member
  • 2915 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb

What's the night pic like?

How about a live view....

Attached File  Preview.jpg   119.29KB   2 downloads

• theneone and denboy like this

theneone

theneone
  • Club Member
  • 6544 posts
  • Essex & Hertfordshire
  • Neo

How about a live view....

Preview.jpg

That's not bad at all.

Alb

Alb
  • Club Member
  • 2915 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb

This is where I bought the system from https://www.amazon.c...uct/B07CQLB8HS/

It comes up on lightning deals from time to time so you can get it for less if you are patient.

• Dave276 and theneone like this

Jon

Jon
  • Club Member
  • 10201 posts
  • Suffolk
I'm also looking at a Reolink system, some nice stills there @Alb of your system.

I've had cat5e run throughout an extention so will go the PoE route with an NVR and with the existing house as well I'm looking at 6 or 7 cameras in total so an 8ch set up is what I'll need.

Will be keeping an eye out for any offers that pop up on Amazon or otherwise.
  • theneone likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users