peteg22

peteg22
  • Club Member
  • 3413 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Peter (Pete)
  • Owns:2009 PB Mk2 Focus RS

POPULAR

Well, I thought it was about time that I started my own 'build' thread, i've been on here for a fair old while now and owned my RS for over five years! I know, baby steps...  :whistle:  :smile:

My PB RS is a 59 plate, lux 1 (with BT and USB), build no 1747, and was purchased in April 2012 with around 15,000 miles on the clock. It now has in the region of 46,000 miles on the clock, and I now rarely achieve more than 3-4,000 miles per year.

This thread is not really a build thread as such, more of a maintenance thread, for a number of reasons:

1) I like tinkering and messing around in my garage;

2) The RS is getting on for eight years old now (still a spring chicken, relatively speaking!) but needs a bit of TLC and love;

3) Due to my job I have fairly long periods away from home, but conversely have fairly long periods of time at home on leave where I can be left to my own devices, while my wife is at work, to tinker with the car! 

4) I've never been much of a modder, and prefer to keep the RS as close as possible to factory standard.

My modifications to date are: painted brake callipers (more on those in due course), mudflaps, seat covers, and a Mountune Recirc valve. I know, check me out eh? Quite the modder! Lots of people have mentioned this 'slippery slope' business; I have yet to find said slope, it's flat as a pancake round near me...  :whistle:  :bleh:  :laughing:

This is my Mk2 FRS:

Attached File  IMG_3191.jpg   344.42KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3145.jpg   95.36KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1623.jpg   122.34KB   0 downloads

The car has enjoyed a little fame, and featured in Autocar magazine back in summer 2014, as part of a 'new versus used' feature they were doing:

Attached File  IMG_3845.jpg   310.2KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3846.jpg   217.79KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3847.jpg   337.89KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3848.jpg   353.08KB   0 downloads

It was good to get the opportunity to get involved, spending the day at Bicester airfield with the Autocar team; it certainly is very enlightening seeing how it all works behind the camera lens!  :nice:

Had a stint as a wedding car too, at my (now) brother-in-law's wedding!

Attached File  CIMG1773.jpg   178.24KB   1 downloads

So, onto the mods: the brake callipers were in need of a tidy up so I had them painted 'Carbon Grey' using some Foliatec paint. They looked much better, however the grey was more of a green in certain light, so about a year or so later I painted them silver. Again, this was an improvement but still not quite what I was after, as I wanted them a darker grey rather than silver!  :facepalm:

So yesterday I managed to get the colour I was after:

Attached File  IMG_3833.jpg   149.03KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3838.jpg   156.44KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3829.jpg   187.34KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3833.jpg   149.03KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3839.jpg   171.17KB   0 downloads

Not brilliant pics i'm afraid, but you get the idea! The colour reminds me a little of the new MG paint used on the Mk3 RS; I like it and it suits the callipers imo! I'll get some better pics when I next move the car out of the garage.  :nice:

I also took the opportunity to do the spoiler 'mod' and renew all the foam bits, as well as clean all the gunk out from under the spoiler and rear window glass. It wasn't actually too bad under there but it was good to get it done! It was easy enough, following the guide put together by Clive and others on here, and made sure I gave the bolt threads a good clean to get any old thread lock off. As it was, there was very little on there to remove in the first place...  :whistle:

Attached File  IMG_3834.jpg   102.54KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3835.jpg   84.21KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3836.jpg   86.49KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3837.jpg   79KB   0 downloads

The other job I have just done is to clean and paint the Hex posts that hold the crossover pipe in place. I had noticed over the years that the bottom sections on a couple of posts were corroding, so thought I would wip them all out for a clean and paint! This job has been nagging away at me for ages so it was good to get it done. I'm still waiting for the posts to dry, so i'll put some pics on of the finished engine bay in due course... 

Again, not great pics, but they give you an idea of what condition they were in when they came out:

Attached File  IMG_3843.jpg   284.84KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3840.jpg   287.46KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3841.jpg   155.88KB   0 downloads

After a brush down and de-grease:

Attached File  IMG_3844.jpg   112.77KB   0 downloads

Some of the more observant amongst you will have noticed that this engine bay is as it was when it left the factory; yes, it even has the standard plenum!  :blink:  :smile: Anyway, this is my build thread, so no talk of 'you must change this, that and the other, before it goes bang' etc etc  :bleh: Many thanks.  :nice:

Right, think that's all for the time being, i'll pop some piccies of the Hex posts on when they have dried and are back in place.

Jobs for the future (we'll see how bored I get over the next week or so, but to be done this year at any rate!) include:

1) get the bumpers and side skirts off and have a nose around under there; no doubt will need a clean up....

2) adjust the mudflaps at the back of the car; they don't seem to sit properly. I think it's due to the shape of the arch liners, they 'bulge' a little and result in the flaps not sitting correctly. I'll get some pics up in due course so you can see what I mean; any advice would be appreciated! 

That's all for now folks, thanks for reading.  :nice:

Attached Files

• Dave276, thestumper, Gareth350 and 9 others like this

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

spongy

spongy
  • Club Member
  • 785 posts
  • Devon
  • Toni
Looks clean sir. Want to keep mine fairly standard and this year will be painting inner arches and chassis as the ford finish is shocking. The rear beam on mine has just started to rust so i will be removing this to sort out while im painting the chassis...cant wait till i can get stuck in and get her cleaned right up,spent 2 months over xmas and feb cleaning her underneath and assesing what needs doing. As you said i will also pop front bumper off to clean and inspect all the nooks i cant see....may also at this time chuck in a better front mount to keep the charge temps down. Keep up the good work bud its nice to see one in standard trim
  • peteg22 likes this

peteg22

peteg22
  • Club Member
  • 3413 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Peter (Pete)

Ok, Hex posts are dry; they were painted using Hammerite's finest black paint.

Attached File  IMG_3849.jpg   173.41KB   0 downloads

They are now back in position and crossover pipe and symposer pipe dropped back into place and all screwed back together! The improvement to the Hex posts isn't immediately obvious however when you look closer they are that much tidier and now don't have any rusty bits!  :thumbsup:

Attached File  IMG_3850.jpg   158.21KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3851.jpg   176.11KB   0 downloads

Regarding the colour of the brake callipers, I used a secret blend of paint, only to be revealed to a select few...  :grin: Meanwhile, back in the real world, the blend is actually an equal mix of black and white Hammerite, and is just the right mix imo to get the right (fifty) shade(s) of grey...  :whistle:  :smile:

Attached File  IMG_3853.jpg   213.03KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3852.jpg   180.59KB   0 downloads

• RSROG008, Kaxe and DustyRS like this

peteg22

peteg22
  • Club Member
  • 3413 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Peter (Pete)

Looks clean sir. Want to keep mine fairly standard and this year will be painting inner arches and chassis as the ford finish is shocking. The rear beam on mine has just started to rust so i will be removing this to sort out while im painting the chassis...cant wait till i can get stuck in and get her cleaned right up,spent 2 months over xmas and feb cleaning her underneath and assesing what needs doing. As you said i will also pop front bumper off to clean and inspect all the nooks i cant see....may also at this time chuck in a better front mount to keep the charge temps down. Keep up the good work bud its nice to see one in standard trim

Thanks Toni, yup good call on the chassis. I had mine waxoyled a few years back, I also did the arches and various other bits last year. In fairness, the chassis would probably be ok, but there other bits such as the subframe that do seem to suffer a bit. Good luck!  :nice:

peteg22

peteg22
  • Club Member
  • 3413 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Peter (Pete)

And in other news, we (Mrs G and I) are due to be getting a new car to replace her ageing Nissan Almera Tino; the Nissan has done its job well, but is starting to show its age and mileage, and quite frankly I hate driving the thing! So hopefully within the next couple of weeks, we will be the proud owners of this:

Attached File  image2.jpg   128.59KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image7.jpg   87.28KB   0 downloads

The pics aren't great but they are the only ones I have of the car at present.

It currently belongs to Mrs G's employers however they are getting rid of it as it is currently not being used. Its a 63 plate, full BMW service history, around 50,000 miles on the clock, and a very good spec. We're getting it at a very good price (mate's rates :whistle:  :smile: ) and much lower than equivalent cars currently for sale. It is essentially the same as this one: http://www2.autotrad... SERIES&page=11

It's a lovely car to drive, loads of space, useful for carting dog, kids (as and when we have some!) and general 'stuff' around... :nice: Can't wait! 

• DustyRS and alienp1mp like this

peteg22

peteg22
  • Club Member
  • 3413 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Peter (Pete)

Well, another job done! Managed to get the scuttle panel off and clean out all (well, the vast majority of it  :whistle: ) the crud that had built up under there; the worst parts were in the corners of the windscreen by the bonnet hinges, once you get a small amount of dirt there, it just builds up!  :facepalm:

A few 'before' shots:

Attached File  IMG_3862.jpg   131.88KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3863.jpg   114.55KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3864.jpg   121.55KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3865.jpg   107.33KB   0 downloads

The trickiest aspects of the job were removing the six small metal clips holding the scuttle panel in place, and getting the wiper blades off, in particular the passenger side one!  :whistle: It took a fair amount of coaxing (and swearing  :grin: ) to get them off, I can only think that because they have never been off before, over time they have become firmly settled down on top of the posts. Anyway, got there in the end...  :nice:

There were a couple of parts I came across that I must admit I have absolutely no idea what they're for! Can anyone shed any light on what they are?

Attached File  IMG_3866.jpg   316.97KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3867.jpg   151.81KB   0 downloads

This first one could be a breather tube for the screen wash reservoir?  :whistle:  :blush:

Attached File  IMG_3868.jpg   158.71KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3869.jpg   83.04KB   0 downloads

This second one is some kind of mesh screen that sits inside a plastic housing that clips over a hole under the windscreen; something to do with the interior heating? :whistle:   :smile:

Anyway, after a good spray of 3-in-1 oil and some Valet Pro exterior plastics protectant, it all went back together again. I also greased the metal clips and screw threads on the wiper posts, to help prevent corrosion and to hopefully make it a bit easier to remove for next time...  :whistle:  :nice:

The scuttle panel and engine bay seal also got a good clean and a coating of Valet Pro exterior plastic/rubber protectant, before being fitted back in place.

Attached File  IMG_3870.jpg   112.63KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3871.jpg   149.56KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3872.jpg   167.09KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3873.jpg   154.28KB   0 downloads

Hopefully this job won't have to be done again any time soon, particularly now that the  :rs: is a fully-fledged garage queen!  :laughing:  :thumbsup:

For anyone else thinking of doing this job, just remember to take care when removing the scuttle panel; pull it gently out towards you, rather than up at an angle, otherwise you might crack the windscreen glass!  :facepalm:

• Dave276, graeme, Gareth350 and 5 others like this

Gareth350

Gareth350

London & South East region

• Regional Rep
  • 22872 posts
  • south east

Looking good Pierre!  :thumbsup:

• peteg22 likes this

scootmuldoon

scootmuldoon
  • Forum User
  • 925 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Scott

@peteg22 Great job so far Pete :thumbsup:

How long and difficult a job was it to remove the scuttle panel ?

Im thinking about giving it a go after seeing yours. :lol: 

• peteg22 likes this

peteg22

peteg22
  • Club Member
  • 3413 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Peter (Pete)

@peteg22 Great job so far Pete :thumbsup:

How long and difficult a job was it to remove the scuttle panel ?

Im thinking about giving it a go after seeing yours. :lol: 

Thanks! Yeah give it a go, if I can do it, i'm sure most can... ;) I think it took me around 2.5-3 hours, as described in my post above it took me a while to get the wipers off; it took some 'pursuasion', but got there in the end. It really also depends on how thorough you are with cleaning underneath the scuttle panel, it took me a while, as the water ended up black so needed changing a few times!
If you have any questions, just shout mate! :)
  • scootmuldoon likes this

Webby

Webby
  • Club Member
  • 3043 posts

omfg never thought I would see this build thread!!!!

good on you, nice to see a little care and maintenance on here as the mk2 isn't getting any younger!!

s that first pic I the top of screen wash breather where is comes through the body ;)

• peteg22 likes this

peteg22

peteg22
  • Club Member
  • 3413 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Peter (Pete)

omfg never thought I would see this build thread!!!!

good on you, nice to see a little care and maintenance on here as the mk2 isn't getting any younger!!

s that first pic I the top of screen wash breather where is comes through the body ;)

Haha! I hope you're proud Webby, I know it's not a thread filled with mods but there's enough to at least make it a modified car in the insurer's perspective... ;)
Ah so I was right on the screen wash tube thing?! Cheers mate!
Hope you're well mate, must catch up soon. :)
  • Webby likes this

peteg22

peteg22
  • Club Member
  • 3413 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Peter (Pete)

I thought it was about time to get a space saver in the car; i've made do with the compressor and tyre gunk since day one of owning the car however have always thought of getting the 'real deal' rather than rely on something which probably wouldn't work well anyway!  :whistle:  :smile: I did contemplate putting a full size spare in the boot but couldn't be doing with losing so much space, so opted for this method instead, in the knowledge that if I do get a puncture on the front, i'll have some swapping around of wheels to do...  :grin:

So I managed to track down a secondhand (albeit unused) space saver, scissor jack and wheel brace, complete with the plastic holder on eBay, and bought the boot carpet and two foam pieces plus insulator from a company online. 

Attached File  IMG_3883.jpg   121.31KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3882.jpg   137.35KB   0 downloads

All in all, pretty happy with it, you do lose a bit of boot space, but for the peace of mind that the space saver brings, it's worth it imo  :smile:  :nice: At the end of the day, we've got my wife's new car to do all the lugging around of 'stuff' so it's not a big deal...  :nice:

More on my wife's car in due course...  :nice:  8)

Edit: looks like there was some dust on my camera lens; please ignore all the speckles on the picture, my bad!  :facepalm:  :whistle:

• Gareth350, DustyRS and theneone like this

Gareth350

Gareth350

• Regional Rep
  • 22872 posts
  • south east

I thought it was about time to get a space saver in the car; i've made do with the compressor and tyre gunk since day one of owning the car however have always thought of getting the 'real deal' rather than rely on something which probably wouldn't work well anyway!  :whistle:  :smile: I did contemplate putting a full size spare in the boot but couldn't be doing with losing so much space, so opted for this method instead, in the knowledge that if I do get a puncture on the front, i'll have some swapping around of wheels to do...  :grin:

So I managed to track down a secondhand (albeit unused) space saver, scissor jack, tyre wrench, complete with the plastic holder on eBay, and bought the boot carpet and two foam pieces plus insulator from a company online. 

attachicon.gifIMG_3883.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3882.jpg

All in all, pretty happy with it, you do lose a bit of boot space, but for the peace of mind that the space saver brings, it's worth it imo  :smile:  :nice: At the end of the day, we've got my wife's new car to do all the lugging around of 'stuff' so it's not a big deal...  :nice:

More on my wife's car in due course...  :nice:  8)

Edit: looks like there was some dust on my camera lens; please ignore all the speckles on the picture, my bad!  :facepalm:  :whistle:

Looks exactly like my boot set up Pete.  :thumbsup:

Although i carpeted each little storage section & added slots in the carpet to feed velcro straps through to hold bits & bobs in place in the boot foams!  :whistle:  :yep:

• peteg22 likes this

peteg22

peteg22
  • Club Member
  • 3413 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Peter (Pete)

Looks exactly like my boot set up Pete.  :thumbsup:

Although i carpeted each little storage section & added slots in the carpet to feed velcro straps through to hold bits & bobs in place in the boot foams!  :whistle:  :yep:

That may or may not be a coincidence, Gareth...  :whistle:  :laughing:  I do remember seeing a post of yours with that setup quite some time ago, and thought it was the way to go!  :smile:  :nice: I like the idea of the velcro straps, might have to explore that option in due course... :bow:  

I am conscious of the fact that the top carpet layer is just sitting on the foam inserts, so might see if I can find a way of securing it in some way with some fasteners of some sort. It's not exactly going to go anywhere in a hurry but I would be happier if it was held in place a bit more permanently. 

• Gareth350 likes this

peteg22

peteg22
  • Club Member
  • 3413 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Peter (Pete)

Well, the new Beemer is here finally! Not currently able to drive it as we are still waiting for the V5 to turn up (long story, largely to do with the previous owners being abroad, as well as the car having a private plate on it before it became ours...) and then tax it, however it should be with us in the next day or two.  :whistle:  :nice:

Anyway, the delay has allowed me to give it a good once-over, clean and wax, and get it ready for my good lady to use.  :thumbsup: The previous owner (Mrs G's boss funnily enough) got it valeted before it was trailered down to us, however I think some people's opinions of what is classed as a good clean doesn't quite meet mine...  :cry:  :facepalm: So I spent some time getting it to a state where I was happy with it!  :whistle:  :smile: The car does need some alloys refurbed however we'll get that done over the next few months; other than that, it's in good condition and hopefully (fingers crossed :whistle: ) will give us many miles of trouble-free motoring!  :thumbsup:

These cars do seem to be very robust and reliable so hopefully this one will be; it makes me happy knowing that while i'm away with work, Mrs G is driving something that won't (hopefully) let her down in the middle of no-where, which is what her current Nissan Almera did back in the winter, at night, quite some distance from home...  :cry:  :facepalm:

I did a fair amount of measuring up of the garage prior to buying the car, just to make sure it would fit... Thankfully, I got my measurements right, and despite being significantly longer than the Nissan, it fits well, with room either side and at each end! Winner!  :thumbsup:  :laughing:

Attached File  IMG_3881.jpg   150.65KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3880.jpg   130.79KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3884.jpg   112.25KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3885.jpg   106.4KB   0 downloads

• DustyRS likes this

Gareth350

Gareth350

• Regional Rep
  • 22872 posts
  • south east

That may or may not be a coincidence, Gareth...  :whistle:  :laughing:  I do remember seeing a post of yours with that setup quite some time ago, and thought it was the way to go!  :smile:  :nice: I like the idea of the velcro straps, might have to explore that option in due course... :bow:  

I am conscious of the fact that the top carpet layer is just sitting on the foam inserts, so might see if I can find a way of securing it in some way with some fasteners of some sort. It's not exactly going to go anywhere in a hurry but I would be happier if it was held in place a bit more permanently. 

:thumbsup:

I made a bracket that attaches through the jack foams & used an OE hold down knurled kn. ob screwed through the spare wheel into it, so the tools & wheel are screwed together & another point for the carpet to sit on, plus it looks like it is OE screwed to the floor. :nice:  

• peteg22 likes this

peteg22

peteg22
  • Club Member
  • 3413 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Peter (Pete)

:thumbsup:

I made a bracket that attaches through the jack foams & used an OE hold down knurled kn. ob screwed through the spare wheel into it, so the tools & wheel are screwed together & another point for the carpet to sit on, plus it looks like it is OE screwed to the floor. :nice:  

Thanks Gareth, is the OE knurled kn. ob the one that is used in the standard Focus to screw everything together? I got sent one with the space saver and the rest of the gubbins, but I've not actually used it, for obvious reasons. However it sounds like it may have a use after all...  :whistle:  :smile:

Gareth350

Gareth350

• Regional Rep
  • 22872 posts
  • south east

Thanks Gareth, is the OE knurled kn. ob the one that is used in the standard Focus to screw everything together? I got sent one with the space saver and the rest of the gubbins, but I've not actually used it, for obvious reasons. However it sounds like it may have a use after all...  :whistle:  :smile:

Yeah, that's the one.  :yep:

• peteg22 likes this

DustyRS

DustyRS
  • Forum User
  • 4809 posts
  • East London
  • Brian
Likening this thread Pete :yep:
  • peteg22 likes this

peteg22

peteg22
  • Club Member
  • 3413 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Peter (Pete)

Likening this thread Pete :yep:

Thanks Brian! :nice: It's not much compared to some threads out there, but it keep me happy!  :whistle:  :smile:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PB FRS, Mountune, MT350

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users