Focus RS Forum banner

Not car related ! Does any have a Newfoundland dog ?

680 views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  RS Tina 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
Has any member on here had/have a Newfoundland dog? If so what are they like and any problems with breed/ can they be left alone for some of the day, ? Any health issues, I know they a giant breed but just after some first hand advise please , thank you , lisa x

#3 ·
this wont be much help - my niece had one but had to be put down due to health issues when he was about 2. it lived outside as was too big for the house and didnt like the heat inside.

it was left alone a lot, but had the run of the garden.

It was an expert drooler, very placid and f.big!! those are my memories.

We have a border terrier and it poops a lot - I would hate to have to clean up after a Newfie - buy a shovel!!!!

#5 ·
They have some hip problems (like all big dogs) and I think they are also prone to eye problems.
My friend had one and he was the softest dogs ever! Like a big teddy bear lol
I've had rotties always, but I just keep trying to replace the one I lost and I can't do that I know, so I'm thinking of another breed always loved newfies but I know they need lots of work,

#10 ·
I have had 2 no probs with either of mine other than the size they grew too.. :rofl: :rofl:

Rotties for me too I just love them shame the tail can not now be docked :smile:
Heres my jack and my mates Rottie T :smile: ........ I had a Rottie years ago , what a superb dog :yep:

Attachments

#11 ·
Heres my jack and my mates Rottie T :smile: ........ I had a Rottie years ago , what a superb dog :yep:
I loved my rottie she was a dog I'd never thought would be so loving. I bought her home in my hands she was so small. She followed me everywhere so I named her Shadow.

I just think they are beautiful animals and give so much!

Now I need another
Isnt it strange how certain dogs just dont look right with tails ,had a jack russel years ago and when i see them now they look odd :yep:
They are not meant to have tails. Are ther? Totally different dogs with them

#12 ·
I have a landseer Newfoundland. Hes 17 months old and has already gone through a cruciate operation. He is very intelligent so wouldn't leave him too long every day as he gets bored but he has accepted the cage rest very well. hes a loveable lump but has been very hard work, far more than my last one. he is 30inches to the shoulder and over 75 kgs so a big dog that I have to keep on top of to ensure he behaves.

Graham

#14 ·
I have had 2 no probs with either of mine other than the size they grew too.. :rofl: :rofl:

Rotties for me too I just love them shame the tail can not now be docked :smile:
This is vic, my rottie. He's on a diet at 75kg but literally he's all muscle. Best dog I've ever had. Gentle with kids but will not tolerate and BS. Stands and stares and assess a situation before doing anything. Part of their character. Had him from 3 months old. He has his tail.

Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore Jaw

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Working animal

Plant Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.